Saturday, January 10, 2009

Meeting the Firemen

Tonight my dad and mom, Dan and Stacey, my grandpa and his wife, and David and I went to the temple and then out to dinner. A nice-relaxing-kid free-night.

After dinner we were going to go to the grocery store (I was supposed to go last Saturday, but didn't make it, and then I had my surgery and meals were brought in....) But Dan and Stacey mentioned that they were thinking of going to the movies. So we decided to tag along.

After running by Target to grab an RX for me, we headed to the theatre. David and I got our tickets, popcorn and pop and then sat down at a table to wait for Dan and Stacey. I asked David if he had his phone on him. He said no. So I told him he needed to get it just in case the babysitter called. He ran out to the car to get his phone and noticed that he had a message. So he listened to it and it was from Dale, our babysitters dad, asking David to call him back. David couldn't hear the number very well, so he called our house to ask Tnaya what her dad's cell was. Molly answered the phone. Molly is our primary president for our ward. She is also one of our other babysitters mom, and she lives a couple of house down behind our house. (Tnaya lives in the house RIGHT behind us).

A MILLION things started running through my head. WHY ON EARTH IS MOLLY ANSWERING OUR PHONE!?!?!?!? David said a lot of, "oh really" "uh huh" "okay" and "yeah's". And then a "I guess I will come home. I will be there in a minute". WHAT IS GOING ON!??!?!?

All he said to me was "Stay here, and watch the movie with Dan and Stacey, they can bring you home. The kids turned on the fireplace (we have a little electric fireplace in our living room) and it started puffing out smoke. The firemen are on their way to the house." Then he got in the car and drove off. I tried to say that I would go with him. My house was burning down and he expected me to stay at the movies? He didn't listen. (I think he was mostly glad that he got out of going to that movie.)

So I waited in the theatre for Dan and Stacey-who seemed to take FOREVER to get there, and then I called David on Dan's phone. Everything was okay. Tnaya smelled smoke and saw the fireplace smoking and soot landing everywhere, so she called her dad. Her dad told her to get the kids out of the house, and he was on his way. He and his fam were out so they called Molly to see if she could get over there faster. She hurried to my house and then loaded all my kids into her van so they could keep warm. When David got home, there was an ambulance and a firetruck. The men tested our walls to make sure that nothing was hot, and all they needed was David's birthday before they left (Dale had given them all the other info I guess).

Here is a picture of our fireplace...
Here is some pictures of what burnt...














Here is a picture of the only "fire" this fireplace will see again...

1st weekend in 2009: emergency partial hysterectomy
2nd weekend in 2009: house tries to burn down

I think I am done....

7 comments:

Andrea said...

What a start to a new year!!! You are an amazing woman:) I really do hope you start feeling back to normal soon!

Erin said...

Ok, now that is way more than enough bad luck...no more!! Good luck prayers coming your way. Love the fake fire picture, you crack us up... at least you guys have a sense of humor, keep it coming!

libbie said...

Oh how scary! that poor babysitter! poor you! I would have been going crazy! maybe your motto can be I hate 2008 AND 2009 . . . so far!

Ben and Alissa said...

I'm glad that Tnaya knew to call her Dad and things were okay! It was fun going to the movie with you tonight and hopefully things were uneventful at home, as in no firemen, while you were out!

Alicia Leppert said...

Oh, gosh, I'll pray for next weekend! That is so scary! I love the little fire picture, that is so cute. Glad no one got hurt and everything turned out okay. So glad you got to come last night!

jjfreeman4 said...

I'm impressed that you found my blog...how do you do that? I am too chicken to go out on my own without some help! I'm sorry to hear about the fire!

Mike, Chelsea and Co. said...

Hi Linda! We're glad you're okay. Sheesh, never a dull moment at your house for sure. Hope you're feeling better.