Thinking we would outsmart our children, we decided we would load the kids up at 3:30 AM and start driving then. We have taken the kids on previous early morning trips, leaving at 6:30 AM, and that doesn't seem to work. The kids don't go back to sleep and then they are cranky for the rest of the day. So we figured by leaving at 3:30 they would definitely fall back asleep. WRONG! It didn't work. ALL of them stayed awake until about mid-day. And they were cranky. Kylie would not be satisfied. She pitched a fit if Kaden's pillow even grazed her arm. Eli, knowing exactly how to push her buttons, did just that. He threatened to hit her and she would SCREAM. (even though he was across the car from her, and couldn't even reach her).
We stopped in a small town in Oregon to run into a McDonald's. David ran the two older kids into the bathroom and then I went in to get some food for everyone. I stood in line for probably 2-3 minutes, with no one in front of me, as the employees walked around like they had no idea what was going on. Finally someone took my order and then I filled our drinks and stood waiting for my food. Realizing after a couple of minutes that it would not be ready for a bit, I decided to take the drinks out to the car so David could start filling sippies. I then went back inside and waited another 10 minutes. FINALLY my food was there, and we could get back on the road. So I jumped in the car and started handing out food. They forgot the fork and syrup for Eddies pancakes, and they just plain forgot my breakfast. David ran back inside, but by this point in time there were at least 15 people in line and no one would help him so we left. I got to feed Eddie with my fingers, and I got no breakfast. (Needless to say, I was NOT a happy camper. I had been up since 3 AM and I got no food!)
After breakfast, I think we stopped at least every 30 minutes so Kylie could pee. No joke. That girl had to pee ALL the time. It was getting quite annoying. Once David just stopped on the side of an exit and had her sit on the edge of the suburban. But b/c she didn't have shoes on, she wanted to put her feet on David's sandal. And he let her! How stupid is that! I warned him that his sandal would be covered. But what do I know? Obviously more then he thought I did, b/c she drenched it. And he got to wear a peed on sandal for the rest of the day. (we did try to wash it off a little).
We thought that we would get to Provo around 3 (Utah time) and have enough time to shower and change before dinner at 5:30. Once again we were wrong. We ended up pulling into Sandy, UT just in time for dinner at the Mayan Adventure restaurant. Dan and Stacey had planned on taking their family there and we decided we wanted to join them. It was pretty cool. The kids had a lot of fun. (although, I am sure they would have had fun just about anywhere, if their cousins were there).
After dinner we finally made it to our hotel and we were exhausted. We had invited Dan and Stacey and fam to go swimming with us, and when they declined, we decided we had better just go to bed. So we did. At 9 PM we were in bed, and asleep.
It may have taken us 12 hours to get there. But we made it.







No comments:
Post a Comment