Thursday, June 19, 2008

Portland Zoo

For the last couple of months David and I have been trying to find a weekend that we could take the kids to the Oregon Zoo. Not able to come up with more then one day to do it, I decided to surprise him and plan a one day trip to Portland. So I had him take last Friday off, and this is how our day went....

6 AM I got up, showered, started packing the car with snacks, strollers, movies and clothes for the kids to change into.

7 AM I woke David up, and finished loading car.

7:45 AM We got kids out of bed, and put them strait into the car.

8 AM We pulled out of drive-way (only 1 hour behind schedule)

10:45 AM We stopped in Hood River to change some VERY stinky diapers, and change kids into their clothes.

11 AM We started buckling kids back into their seats and we smell another very strong smelling diaper. So we unload Eddie and find that his brand new diaper was already poopy and had leaked-clear down into his shoes. (unfortunately I didn't pack extra clothes!)

11:10 AM We stopped at Wal-mart so I could buy some new clothes for Eddie.

11:15 AM I got back into the car and buckled, only to find out that Kylie needed to use the bathroom.

11:20 AM WE ARE BACK ON THE ROAD!

12:30 PM We made it!!!!

Only a couple of hours behind schedule, but we did it. The kids were tired, hungry, and sick of being in the car but we were at the zoo! When we got in line to buy tickets, a lady came up to us and said she had 3 extra kids passes and gave them to us, so we ended up getting in with just paying for David and I. Thank you lady!
After we got in, we started to go to see the Sea Lions. And Eli Flipped out. For those of you who don't know, Eli is a bit of a sissy. I love him to pieces, but the kid is afraid of EVERYTHING. He seriously thought that the animals were going to get him. I had to pick him up and carry him, while he was kicking and screaming trying to get away. BUT then as soon as he saw the animals were caged in, and couldn't actually get to him, he switched to a crazy little boy who couldn't stop laughing and pointing at the animals saying how cool they were. However, we had to go through this EVERY time we went to see a new animal. Not so much fun. Kaden, Kylie and Eddie had a blast though. They were very excited to see everything (especially Eddie). Johnny on the other hand, was not a happy camper. He wasn't feeling very well, so he spent most of his time screaming.
The zoo closed at 6 PM and so we started heading out (stopping for souvenirs of course!), with 5 VERY tired and hungry kids. It was defiantly time to go home. We stopped in The Dalles to eat at McD's and let the kids play for a bit. Then we changed them into PJs and headed home. We arrived home at 11:30 PM, transferred kids, and dropped into our bed at about 12:30 AM.
What a day. It was LONG, and we were all very tired. but we had a ton of fun. The kids were quite happy with the trip. And even though David was a crank through it all, I think he kinda liked it too!

2 comments:

libbie said...

looks like you had a poopy fun day! I love the picture of Kiley aka Kaley as Ava would say, picking her nose! Someday we will make it to the zoo . . . someday!

linda said...

yes it was. very poopy. in fact i forgot to mention that when we went to see the elephants eddie was walking ahead of me and i saw that he was poopy again. and it had started to leak out of that diaper onto his shorts! luckily i caught it in time and i was able to rinse them and put them back on him-wet. :)